Director of UX Design
fjorge is a full-service development agency that works with marketing professionals to bring their digital projects to the finish line. We offer front-end, back-end, solutions architecture, UX design, and maintenance expertise on website and application projects.
Our team is growing, and we’re looking for teammates who are passionate about being the solution to our clients’ digital needs. We offer a fun environment with diverse projects, a growing range of benefits, and professional development opportunities. We value a curious nature that drives continual learning, a desire to effectively tackle any issues through open communication, and a positive approach to problem solving.
As Director of UX Design at fjorge, your aim is to lead and mentor a department of UX designers in producing high-quality digital products that are accessible, thoughtfully crafted, and outcomes-oriented. You and your team will be accountable for creating elevated interfaces that are informed by real data and business needs. At fjorge, we are connected through our curiosity, making innovative, impactful decisions within highly collaborative teams of forward thinking technologists including designers, developers, and product owners.
fjorge is an equal opportunity employer
We provide equal access to, and opportunity within, our programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or preferred design platform.
This Person will be Accountable for:
- Leading and managing staff UX Designers
- Designing products with high quality UX and promoting UX best practices on all products produced by the division
- Owning Product Vision Workshops, including training on, optimizing, and helping to refine the service offering
- Ensuring the consistency and quality of the fjorge visual brand and brand experience
Leading and managing staff UX Designers
This person will lead and manage a group of direct reports – providing clear direction and providing opportunities for growth. The director understands the company vision, the product delivery core process, and is able to rally the department around shared goals. They will provide the necessary tools for their direct reports to be successful and engaged in the work.
Designing products with high quality UX and promoting UX best practices on all products produced by the division
The Director of UX Design is skilled at understanding how UX design impacts business outcomes through enabling an optimal user experience. The Director of UX Design has a keen ability to train clients on design best practices and methodologies, along with internal stakeholders and cross-functional team members outside of the UX Design discipline in order to maintain and grow design maturity at fjorge.
Owning Product Vision Workshops, including training on, optimizing, and helping to refine the service offering
This role will own fjorge’s Product Vision Workshop service offering, a service which enables intensive collaboration between fjorge and clients in order to define product look and feel and to estimate build investment. The Director of UX is responsible for training other staff on delivering high quality client experiences during workshops and optimizing the service offering itself.
Ensuring the consistency and quality of the fjorge visual brand and brand experience
The Director of UX Design is responsible for serving as a fjorge brand champion, ensuring that the brand has a well-constructed vision and is consistently used in both digital and print environments, and that brand standards are followed by all employees that create marketing materials and assets at fjorge.
- Proficiency designing UX on projects from start to launch, including design quality assurance
- Proficiency in modern design tools like Figma and Adobe CC
- Experience creating development-ready user interfaces
- Experience in the creation and scalability of design systems and libraries
- Familiarity with agile product development methodologies
- Experience in or strong motivation to develop skills in people management, including hiring, leading, and training teams of designers working in software development.
- Ability to set and achieve goals, proactively resolve issues, and guide colleagues to do the same
- Ability to lead and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders and colleagues
- 5+ years of progressive UX design experience
- 3+ years of leadership and management experience
- Experience working on a cross-functional agile team
- Scrum UX certification
- Experience in or strong motivation to develop skills in scheduling and and managing resources, ensuring projects with varying budgets, timelines, and scope can be delivered successfully
- Expertise in designing large-scale digital products
- Expertise in web accessibility and how design choices can meet the various WCAG levels